Friday, June 25, 2010

How Storytelling Works As A Direct Marketing Sales Tool.

Last week there was a Linked In discussion asking why “storytelling” does an outstanding job of capturing one’s attention.

I brought this subject up at our conference table on Monday as one of the first items for discussion. I started the discussion by saying .......
I remember the stories my grandfather told me, especially when he was surrounded by a bunch of young kids who had become adoring fans of the tales he weaved!

Here’s the response from our copy pros, led by Gary Bencivenga:

Storytelling allows the imagination of your audience to have a “field day”. It’s because it contains one important element that creates powerful visualization …

How?

Good storytelling contains great visual metaphors that stop readers or listeners in their tracks and eagerly wanting to hear more.

Metaphor?

Whazzat?

"Metaphor" is based on a Greek word meaning to "carry something across" or "transfer." Today we use "metaphor" to mean a direct comparison between two or more seemingly unrelated subjects.

Here’s some great metaphors said by people you know:

David Ogilvy, with a deft metaphor...when making a presentation to a prospective client

"Ladies and gentlemen, unless your advertising is built on a big idea, it will pass like a ship in the night." His audience is now focused on watching for and hearing his “big idea”.

From former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan reporting to congress that he presided over "a Goldilocks economy. Not too hot. Not too cold. Just right." That simple metaphor—"a Goldilocks economy"—was more persuasive than a 10-foot stack of economic reports.

Some of the very best metaphors came from Muhammad Ali in his prime
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

"Only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick."

"Joe Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the U.S. Bureau of Wildlife."

"I'll beat him so bad he'll need a shoehorn to put his hat on."

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark."


The visualizations created by the proper use of metaphors can be the golden key that unlocks the copy you write

No comments: